Friday, January 6, 2012

Featured artist of the week

 
  This month's featured artist is a mother and daughter duo from Louisville, Kentucky United States. I got a chance to interview them about their collection of fine jewelry! Here is what they had to say...
 
What type of artwork do you do?
A List Designs offers handcrafted earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings using sterling silver, 14k gold fill, precious/semi-precious gemstones and pearls. Custom made sterling silver metalwork is also available.

How long have you been creating?
We're actually a mother/daughter team. In 2004, I (the daughter) got into beading and started making sterling silver or 14k gold fill earrings and necklaces with semi-precious stones. In 2007, my mother showed an interest in making jewelry, too, so I taught her the basics of beading. She caught on quickly and has even taught me a thing or two since then! In 2009, I enrolled in classes with a professional metal smith and have been learning how to work in silver ever since. Together, my mother and I officially launched A List Designs in 2010.

How much time do you spend working on your craft?
We like to spend several hours a day during the week, and sometimes we'll work all day long on Saturdays and Sundays. It's so much fun that we don't really consider it work, though.

What inspires you to create?
Designing jewelry is a wonderful creative outlet and the perfect stress reliever!

Do you have a designing process?
Things like nature and architecture frequently influence my pieces. However, my mother literally dreams up her designs.

Where do you do your creating?
Most of the time we work at my mother's house, but I also have the beginnings of my metalsmithing studio at mine.

Have you always been artsy?
Yes, we both also love drawing and painting. We also love working on various craft projects. My mother enjoys sewing and knitting, as well.

Do you have another job?
Yes, as an independent contractor, I work various promotional events. My mother is a grant writer for Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Where do you sell your pieces?
We sell our pieces online on Etsy - AListDesign.Etsy.com We also sell our pieces in a couple of local shops, Edenside Gallery and Les Filles Boutique, in Louisville, KY.

Do you enjoy what you do?
Making jewelry started off as a hobby for both of us, and it's even better that something we really love doing has also become an extra source of income for us.

Do you have a favorite piece in your shop?
Our Sterling Silver Arrow Necklace with Gemstones is probably my favorite piece that we currently offer. It's part of our celebrity collection because it was inspired by a necklace Dianna Agron wore on the September 2011 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine. Of course, each pendant is fully handmade and unique. Plus, the necklace is customizable with the buyer's choice of gemstones, which I think is really neat. Last but not least, it's been our best seller, so I can't help but love it!
www.etsy.com/listing/80411248/sterling-silver-arrow-necklace-with

Do you have a blog or website setup?
www.facebook.com/pages/A-List-Designs/143104472370851
twitter.com/#!/A_List_Designs
alistdesigns-jewelry.blogspot.com/
www.youtube.com/user/alistdesigns

No comments:

Post a Comment