Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Featured artist of the week

This month's featured artist is Tara of Chicago, Illinois, United States. I got a chance to interview her about her collection of handwoven bracelets! Here is what she had to say...

What type of artwork do you do?
I primarily create handwoven bracelets including modern beaded macrame designs and unique friendship bracelets. I also enjoy making charm necklaces and earrings.

How long have you been creating?
I started making handwoven jewelry when I was a child and even tried to sell my work online when I was 14. Unfortunately, Etsy did not exist back in the 90s, so it was a bit harder to share my creations with the world.

How much time do you spend working on your craft?
I currently spend about 15-20 hours a week working on my designs, but would happily work on them all day if I had the time!

What inspires you to create?
I draw inspiration from styles and colors of various cultures from around the world. I am particularly drawn to Native American designs as my great-grandfather was part of the Shawnee nation.

Do you have a designing process?
I don't have a set process. Sometimes I get an idea for a new design and try different techniques until my vision becomes reality. Other times I'll just start working on a new piece with only a color scheme or basic pattern in mind and see what I end up with.

Where do you do your creating?
In Chicago space is not plentiful, but we are lucky enough to have a very small den in which I have a desk to work at. Sometimes I'll also bring my work into the living room so I can sit with my fiance while I work.

Have you always been artsy?
I have definitely enjoyed the artistic process my whole life and was a member of art club during high school, but I have never thought of myself as being artsy. I consider myself more of a craftsman than an artist.

Do you have another job?
Currently I am in a doctoral program for cognitive psychology. I just finished my Masters in December and I also work as a teaching assistant to pay the bills. Yeah, I'm kind of a nerd. :)

Where do you sell your pieces?
Currently I only sell my jewelry on Etsy, but I'm considering working with a local brick and mortar store here in Chicago that specializes in handmade goods.

Do you enjoy what you do?
I absolutely love creating jewelry! I find it both relaxing and gratifying, and I especially love that I can share my designs with people all over the world thanks to Etsy!

Do you have a favorite piece in your shop?
While I like every piece I put in my shop, I definitely have a few favorites. If I had to pick just one, I would say that my Navajo inspired friendship and chain bracelet is my favorite and it has become my signature design.

Do you have a blog or website setup?
I don't currently have a blog for my shop, but I do have a facebook page www.facebook.com/TaraLaneDesigns and twitter account www.twitter.com/TaraLaneDesigns

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring me this week! So happy we were able to connect!

    ReplyDelete