Sunday, July 5, 2009

Featured Artist of the Month


This month's featured artist is fellow Etsian variation of Bay Area California. I got a chance to interview her and ask her about her beautiful collection of bead dolls. Here is what she had to say...

What type of art work do you do?
For now I'm working with beads, but I also sew, knit, crochet, make collages, some bookbinding and letterpress,
metalsmithing, graphic design and animation. I'm always trying new things. I love to experiment and combine skills.


How long have you been creating?
Since I first begged my mom to teach me to sew clothes for my Cabbage Patch Kid dolls in the 1980s...

How much time do you spend working on your craft?
It fluctuates -- sometimes as little as an hour or two a week, and sometimes as much as 15 hours a week. I have a full-time job to pay the bills, so that, unfortunately, takes priority.

What inspires you to create?
The amazing work I see from other artists and crafters, past and present, across all mediums. Anything that makes me say, "I want to be a part of that!" The community that comes with sharing your work and learning from fellow artists. Nature, culture, science. Travel. Even the seemingly mundane things around me. All of this informs and inspires my work, and drives me to create!

Do you have a designing process?
I totally make it up as I go along! I just start dabbling with materials, become totally absorbed for a few hours, and voila! Not everything I make is successful, and sometimes I have to abandon things and start over. But in the back of my mind, I'm always thinking about my projects, whether consciously or not.

Where do you do your creating?
In the comfort of my home sweet home.

Have you always been artsy?
Yes and no. There have been periods in my life when my "artsy" side remained dormant because of school, work, or other obligations. This is when I'm the least happy.

Do you have another job?
I do. I work in the tech industry.

Where do you sell your pieces?
Just for now I sell my beaded dolls on Etsy.

Do you enjoy what you do?
Absolutely. I love it!

Do you have a favorite piece in your shop?
Hmmm...the doll in the center of my shop banner. She's like a mascot, in a way. Since my shop is evolving, I will probably have new favorites frequently.

You can see more of variations creations in her Etsy shop Variations

No comments:

Post a Comment